Subcribe Here!

Enter your email address. It;s free!

Delivered by FeedBurner

How can I join my son and grandkids in Australia?

Posted by On 11:52 PM

How can I join my son and grandkids in Australia?


I want to go and live with my only child in Melbourne. He is permanent citizen in Australia, married to an Australian girl, and they have two children. I am single, never married. I am alone here, and I want to move there to help out with my grandchildren. What are my chances of getting a visa?

Answer: John McQuaid, Arrive Australia Migration Services (

Australia allows permanent residents and citizens to sponsor their parents to come and live in Australia.

The quick and cheap option is a longer visitor visa (Subclass 600), available to parents of Australian permanent residents or citizens. This visitor visa allows you to stay in Australia for 12 months in any 18-month period. For more information about this visa, see

If you want to apply for permanent residence yourself, your sponsoring children first need to be “settled” in Australia for at least two years as permanent residents. You must also meet “the balance of family test”, meaning that more of your children must be living in Australia than in any other country, and pass the “health and character requirements”. See the balance of family table at

Currently, a maximum of around 8,500 parent visas can be granted each year, so w ith high demand, the wait periods are long.

The “contributory” parent (Subclass 143) visa currently takes about three to four years to be approved, and costs around $49,000 (€31,000) per parent. This cost can be split over a few years by first applying for a temporary 173 visa to start, and then the permanent visa about two years later.

Unfortunately, the much cheaper non-contributory parent 103 visa option has a very unrealistic waiting time of about 30 years, but is still an option if you can meet the age criteria (above pensionable age ) to apply for the onshore 804 visas while in Australia, and then get a bridging visa to stay .You must still meet “the balance of family test”, and pass the “health and character requirements”.

For more information on the various options open to you as the parent of a permanent resident or citizen, see .

Have a query for our panel of experts about emigrating, life abroad or moving home? Click here to submit yours or email This column is a reader service and is not intended to replace professional advice. Unfortunately we cannot provide personal responses to every query and only those selected for publication will be answered.

'; jq(parent).html(htmlBlock); // Hide notification jq(parent).delay( 1000 ).fadeOut( 'slow' ); }); jq(document).on('click', '.read-next--dismiss', function () { // Hide notification jq(this).trigger('notify-hide'); }); jq(document).on('click', '.read-next--more', function() { // show the more info jq('.notifyjs-readNext-base').toggleClass('flipped') }); jq(document).on('click', '.read-next__button--ok', function() { // hide the more info jq('.notifyjs-readNext-base').toggleClass('flipped') }); jq(document).on('click', '.read-next--close', function() { // Hide notification jq(this).trigger('notify-hide'); }); var readNextOptions = { style: "readNext", globalPosition: 'bottom right', clickToHide: false, autoHide: false //autoHideDelay: 8000 }; /* Recommended article */ var articlelink = " y-raped-daughter-is-jailed-for-10-years-1.3686788"; var articleheadline = "Father who repeatedly raped daughter is jailed for 10 years"; var articleimage = ''; var section = "news"; var evtCategory = "Read Next"; var evtLabel = " on, Back up"; jq.notify.addStyle('readNext', { html: "" + "" + "" + " Suggested for you " + "" + "" + "" + "" + "" + "" + ""+ "" + "Why am I seeing this?"+ "We suggest this article for you based on what others who have read this article have also read"+ " Ok got it! "+ " Don't show me these again " + "" + "" + "" }); var $context = jq(this); var creCookie = jq.cookie(cookieName) || false; if (creCookie) { jq(this).trigger('notify-hide'); }else{ /* Use smartscroll listener to fire the panel at end of article */ jq(window).smartscroll(function () { //Calculate how far down the page the user has scrolled var scrollPos = (jq(window).scrollTop() / jq('div.article_bodycopy').height()) * 100; scrollPos = Math.round(scrollPos); if (scrollPos > 75) { showContent++; if (showContent == 1) { jq.notify({ headline: articleheadline, image: articleimage }, readNextOptions); if (currentWindowWidth && currentWindowWidthSource: Google Australia | Netizen 24 Australia

« Prev Post
Next Post »